Environmental issues have been discussed more than once by filmmakers in their works, because jokes with ecology can lead to total consequences. Andrew Levitas hastened to tell about this in his film "Minamata" (2020), the release date in Russia, the actors, the plot of which is known, and the trailer has not yet been released. The film is based on the real story of a photojournalist.
Rating of expectations of the premiere (KinoPoisk) - 97%.
Producer: Andrew Levitas
World Premiere: September 3, 2020
Release in the Russian Federation: 2020
Cast: Johnny Depp¸ Bill Nyei, Hiroyuki Sanada, Tadanobu Asano, Lily Robinson, Jun Kunimura, Katherine Jenkins, Ryo Kase, Masayoshi Haneda, Minami and others.
A photographer travels to a Japanese town to show the effects of an environmental disaster.
Johnny Depp / Eugene Smith
In the very outback of developed Japan is the town of Minamata, located in a small bay, which is an important part of the life of the population. People come to rest in the town, spend a lot of time here, but soon they begin to notice some strange diseases: hearing loss, problems with speech, diction, insanity - all of this came from nowhere. The state and officials are not going to solve this problem, but it attracts the attention of photojournalist William Smith, who decides to investigate what is really happening in the town.
Director and shooting
The director's place of the project was taken by Andrew Levitas, known for such works as "The Beauties", "Nureyev: The White Raven", "The Bad Actress", "Adult Games".
- David Kessler ("A Hard Day's Day");
- Jason Foreman ("Hidden Secrets").
- Johnny Depp;
- Bill Johnson ("The Air I Breathe", "Just Friends", "Fight", "Reproduction");
- Sam Sarkar (Legends of Autumn, The Brave, Jump Street 21);
- Phil Hunt (“Unfavorable neighborhoods”, “Music connected us”, “The boy who curbed the wind”);
- Peter Touch ("Sensation", "Frank", "Hollam Fow", "Life Partners").
Editor - Nathan Nugent ("Room", "Frank", "Disobedience", "Little Stranger").
The director says that before the shooting, he supported the victims in Minamata, and it is a great honor for him to film this story:
"I am very happy to work with such a talented and dedicated team on the story of one of the most destructive and relatively unknown disasters in the last 100 years."
The following stars appeared in the film:
- Johnny Depp as William Eugene Smith (Pirates of the Caribbean, Edward Scissorhands, Cocaine, Dark Shadows, Murder on the Orient Express, Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of the Green de Wald);
- Bill Nyei (Rock Wave, Real Love, Boyfriend of the Future, Big Game, Pokemon: Detective Pikachu, Their Highlights, Upper Light, Pirates of the Caribbean: On the Edge Sveta");
- Hiroyuki Sanada ("Rush Hour 3", "Shadow Samurai", "Retribution", "Avengers: Final", "World of the Wild West", "Lost", "Revenge", "Living");
- Tadanobu Asano ("Manners to Survive 5+", "Last Life in the Universe", "Taboo", "Silence", "Thor: Ragnarok", "Outsider");
- Lily Robinson as Diandra (Retaliation, Rum Diary);
- Jun Kunimura ("Scream", "Blood and Bones", "Kill Bill", "Cool Cooked", "JoJo's Incredible Adventures", "Manhunt");
- Katherine Jenkins as Millie (Doctor Who, Children in Need, Wonderful Animals);
- Ryo Kase (“Letters from Iwo Jima”, “Tokyo!”, “Mayhem”, “Don't Give Up”, “Nobody Will Know”, “Mozart in the Jungle”, “Freedom Hill”, “Silence”);
- Masayoshi Haneda (“Emperor”, “World of the Wild West”, “The Last Samurai Sword”, “Edge of the Future”, “Valley of Flowers”);
- Minami (“Royal Battle”, “Abandoned Rabbit”, “For You in Full Color”, “Quiz”, “Eagles of Law”).
Did you know that:
- In fact, the waters of the bay were poisoned by inorganic mercury, which was discharged by Chisso for a long time. Due to the chemical reaction, such water has become a dangerous toxin.
- As a result of mercury emissions, 14 people died. The authorities tried to hide the victims, but the victims did not let them do it, and some managed to get to the court.
- The real William Smith was so critical of his work that the man burned failed photos.
- Johnny Depp shared a photograph in which he turned into his hero - fans were struck by the incredible similarities between the real William Smith and the actor in makeup.
Interested viewers are eagerly awaiting the release of the trailer for the film "Minamata" (2020), the release date in Russia, the actors and plot of which are announced. Director Andrew Levitas tried to focus on environmental disasters that claimed the lives of people, and Johnny Depp, who plays the main role, became the main highlight of the film, for which it is worth attending the premiere in theaters.