The famous director Steven Spielberg took on the adaptation of the popular Broadway musical - the release date, actors and plot of the film West Side Story (2020) were announced, and the trailer has not yet been released. The tape will be a modern variation of the story of Romeo and Juliet.
Rating of expectations of the premiere (KinoPoisk) - 96%.
West side story
Genre: musical, frame, romance, crime
Producer: Steven Spielberg
World Premiere: December 16, 2020
Release Date in Russia: December 17, 2020
Cast: Rachel Zegler, Ansel Elgort, Mike Feist, Ariana DeBos, David Alvarez, Corey Stoll, Brian D'Arcy James, Rita Moreno, Maddy Ziegler, Claudette Lali and others.
This story is familiar to many: a young man and a girl from the warring clans fell in love. But now director Steven Spielberg tried to transfer it to the 50s of the 20th century.
The plot focuses on a couple in love: Maria and Tony are crazy about each other, but the problem is that both belong to the warring street gangs - “Rocket” and “Shark”. Tony has already left his gang, but he is still close with its members, and Maria is the sister of their rival leader. Will the lovers find their happiness, or will it end like Shakespeare?
Director and shooting
The director's place, as well as the project producer's place, was taken by Steven Spielberg, who became famous thanks to his works such as Schindler's List, Catch Me If You Can, Back to the Future, Save Private Ryan, Prepare for the First Player .
- Tony Kushner (Angels in America, Munich, Lincoln);
- Arthur Lorents ("Rope", "What We Were", "Anastasia", "Hello, Sadness").
- Christy Makosko Krieger (Lincoln, Spy Bridge, War Horse, Secret Dossier);
- Kevin McCallum (Bohemia, Jeffrey);
- Adam Somner (“The Wolf of Wall Street”, “War Horse”, “Spy Bridge”, “Secret Dossier”, “First Player Get Ready”).
- Sarah Broshar ("First Player to Get Ready", "Well", "Higher Power", "Pet Cemetery");
- Michael Kahn (Schindler's List, Catch Me If You Can, Terminal, Get Ready First Player).
At the end of January 2019, director Steven Spielberg announced the production of a new musical. Spielberg spent the bulk of his time searching for suitable actors who could play a role with dignity, singing songs and dancing. Casting was greatly delayed; many began to suspect that production would cease altogether. But still the crew managed to find the necessary actors, and the filming process began in June 2019 in New York.
“We knew in advance that we wanted to invite castes of Hispanic origin to the caste,” Spielberg said. "I'm glad that we managed to find such amazing actors who show all their multifaceted talent. These are very promising young people, and I believe that they will bring something new to the magnificent musical, which is now very relevant."
The first shots from the filming have already hit the net: actors Ansel Elgort (Tony) and Rachel Zegler (Maria), already reincarnated as their characters, stand next to the rest of the cast in the middle of the scenery.
Actors and roles
The following actors starred in the musical:
- Rachel Zegler in the role of Mary;
- Ansel Elgort in the role of Tony (“Blame the Star”, “Kid on the Drive”, “Divergent”, “November Criminals”, “Duplicate”, “Club of Billionaires”);
- Mike Feist as Riff ("The Bait", "The Monster Saga: Twilight", "Illusion");
- Ariana DeBos as Anita (Blue Blood, Hamilton);
- David Alvarez as Bernardo (Today, Good Morning America, Glance);
- Corey Stoll in the role of Lieutenant Schrenk (Lies for Salvation, Ant-Man, Man on the Moon, Midnight in Paris, House of Cards, Romanovs);
- Brian D'Arcy James as Officer Kripke (“Good Wife”, “In View”, “Man on the Moon”, “The Catcher in the Rye”, “Save Me”, “Life as a Show”);
- Rita Moreno as Valentina (Control and Me, Singing in the Rain, Zorro, Anatomy of Passion, Grace and Frankie, Live Today, Carmen Sandiego);
- Maddy Ziegler in the role of Velma ("Pretty Little Liars", "Beautiful to Death", "Henry's Book", "Austin and Ellie", "Ballerina");
- Claudette Lali as a Neighbor (The Dark Truth, Fever: Patient Zero, The Way Home, Rainy Day in New York).
Did you know that:
- West Side Story is a musical adaptation of Romeo and Juliet, one of William Shakespeare's most popular plays. The musical debuted on Broadway for the first time in 1957, and Leonard Bernstein became its composer. The first film adaptation was released already in 1961 and earned 10 Academy Award nominations.
- Justin Peck, New York's permanent choreographer and recent Tony Award winner, became the project's choreographer.
- Actress Rachel Zegler was only 17 years old when she got to audition. A high school student from New Jersey got this role after she sent a video to an online casting. She became one of the 30,000 Hispanic actors who auditioned. In her video, she performed songs such as "Tonight" and "Me Siento Hermosa". “I am very happy to play the iconic role of Mary along with such a wonderful cast,” says Zegler. West Side Story was the first musical where I saw the main characters of Latin American descent. As an American who came from Colombia, I’m happy to play a role that means so much to a Hispanic audience. "
Director Steven Spielberg knows how to bring to life an adventure on the screen and how to instill in the film West Side Story (2020), the release date in Russia, the actors and the plot of which are known and the trailer has not been released, are very real, tangible human emotions. The success of the picture is guaranteed.