Often, Western filmmakers adapt well-known games for moviegoers, but such adaptations are not always successful. Will the crew manage to create a decent adaptation of the game, transferred to the TV screens thanks to the film "Dungeon of Dragons" (2021), the release date and plot of which are known, but the trailer and actors were not announced?
Rating of project expectations (KinoPoisk) - 96%.
Dungeons & dragons
Genre: fantasy adventure
Producer: John Francis Daily, Jonathan M. Goldstein
World Premiere: November 19, 2021
Release in Russia: November 18, 2021
Cast: is unknown
A board-based role-playing game, based on which the film was created, allowed players around the world, based on their own choices and established sets of rules, to easily create adventures, which made them very popular.
The universe of the film is similar to the universe of the writer J. R. R. Tolkien - it will be attended by people, elves, gnomes and other fabulous creatures. According to the producers, the plot takes place in a new world, and no characters from our world will get there. According to rumors, events will occur in the Forgotten Realms.
Director and shooting
- John Francis Daly (Hooligans and Nerds, Bones, Night Games, Spider-Man: Homecoming, The Seeker, Secrets in the Kitchen, Assimilation Difficulties);
- Jonathan M. Goldstein (Holidays, Obnoxious Bosses 2, Teacher’s Favorite, Night Games, Cloudy ... 2: Revenge of GMOs, Spider-Man: Homecoming).
- Dave Arneson (TV series "Dragon Dungeon");
- Michael Gilio ("Hope Chicago", "AAA !!! Real Monsters", "Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles", "Profiler", "CSI: Crime Scene New York");
- E. Gary Gigax (Dragons Dungeon TV series);
- David Leslie Johnson (City of Gangsters, Spell 2, The Walking Dead, Aquaman);
- Geneva Robertson-Duoret ("Captain Marvel", "Tomb Raider: Lara Croft").
- Stephen Davis ("Jam and Holograms", "Wiji: The Devil's Board", "My Little Pony in the Movie");
- Brian Goldner (Transformers, Sea Battles, G.I. Joe: Throwing a Cobra 2, Bumblebee);
- Roy Lee ("Lake House", "How to Train Your Dragon 3", "Exorcist", "It", "Godzilla 2: King of Monsters");
- Courtney Solomon (“Chased!”, “The Ghost of the Red River”, “Mr. Church”, “After”);
- Allan Zeman (The Expendables, Reasonable Doubt, Husk, Reboot).
A new adaptation of the cult cult role-playing game of the same name has been under development at Paramount Pictures and Hasbro Allspark Pictures for several years, and earlier the director was Chris Mackay ("The LEGO Batman Movie").
Paramount Studio is already in search of leading actors, with the creators considering stars of the first magnitude. One of these invited actors in 2016 was Ansel Elgort (Goldfinch, Blame the Stars, Divergent, November Criminals, Duplicate, Club of Billionaires).
Did you know that:
- The debut of the board game "Dungeons & Dragons" took place in 1974. Due to the presence of fantasy creatures in the game, it was compared with the works of the writer J. R. R. Tolkien.
- The fantasy role-playing game was previously adapted for the big screen by New Line Cinema in 2000, and although the film turned out to be a commercial failure, in 2005 the same studio created a series sequel designed for viewing on video. Studio Warner Bros. made an attempt to reload a large-sized project from scratch in 2015, and subsequently the rights to the project were transferred to Paramount studio (at the end of 2017).
Will the critics, and especially the fans and fans of role-playing games, be satisfied with the movie "Dragon Dungeon" (2021), the release date, the plot of which is known, the actors were not announced, the trailer did not come out? Looking at the level of training of the film crew, I want to believe that film adaptation will turn out to be very successful.